As a speaker and trainer, I often get asked about the best best tips for nonprofit marketing newbies. Where should they start from day one?
Tip 1: Read these blogs
Start your journey in the right direction by subscribing to – and reading – the best blogs about nonprofit marketing and fundraising.
- 20+ Must-Read Blogs for Nonprofits in 2015 – from Salsa
- The Top 10 Nonprofit Blogs – from Blackbaud
- Top Fundraising Blogs – from Double the Donation
- 40 Fundraising Blogs You Should Be Reading in 2015 – from Bloomerang
Tip 2: Research your best competition
According to an infographic by Bloomerang:
- 5% of donors leave because they think the nonprofit doesn’t need them.
- 8% of donors leave because the nonprofit didn’t share how money will be used.
- 9% of donors leave because they don’t remember giving.
- 13% of donors leave because the nonprofit didn’t say thanks.
- 18% of donors leave due to poor service or communication.
Make a small donation to 5 nonprofits who are your best competition. Pick nonprofits that do similar work in the eyes of your donors (solve homelessness, find homes for dogs, fight cancer, etc).
Review how each nonprofit compared with your donation experience. Then ask yourself:
- How are you telling donors their gift makes a difference?
- How can you be better about reporting outcomes?
- How can you be better at on-boarding new donors?
- How can you be better at dazzling your donors?
Tip 3: Sign up for Hump Day Coffee Breaks
My third tip is to sign up for my Hump Day Coffee Breaks – weekly training: 15-minute presentation, 15 minutes of Q&A.