Apps and Campaigns serve the same general purpose.
They’re both used to run promotions, contests, sweepstakes, newsletter integrations, welcome pages and landing pages. However, a Campaign can be placed anywhere on the Web while an App is limited to Facebook.
So there you have the BIG difference between Apps and Campaigns:
Apps = Facebook; Campaigns = Everywhere.
Whether they’re called Campaigns or Apps — or even Tabs, which is what these tools were originally called — many of the tips and best practices we’ve all been hearing for years are still relevant. Moving forward, our goal is to get nonprofits to THINK BIG! This means thinking about how to use Campaigns across the Web, not just on Facebook.
So why are Campaigns better than Apps? Because Campaigns allow a nonprofit to think big! No longer are you restricted to hosting your giveaway or social strategy on Facebook, the possibilities with Campaigns are endless.
Here are some of the benefits of placing your Campaigns online in addition to or instead of on Facebook.
- When you publish a Campaign you receive one URL (it’s desktop and mobile friendly) that you can use anywhere on the Web.
- Only three percent of fans visit a nonprofits’ Timeline after they Like that Page (per month). This means that Fans are mostly hearing about you in their News Feed and by the content you post in status updates. Using the Campaign URL in a status update is just as effective as sending people to an App on your Page.
- You don’t have to worry about permissions or mobile capabilities. This point is worth putting in bold. No more permissions for fans to accept or Facebook guidelines to watch out for.
- Get valuable Likes. Currently, when you host a promotion or giveaway on your Facebook Page and you Like-gate it, many fans are Liking Pages just to enter the contest and then they become inactive fans. When you run your promotion through a Campaign that doesn’t require people to “Like” you on Facebook in order to enter, people who truly like your brand, will like your Page. This weeds out the people who Like a Page just to enter and provides you with valuable Fans on your Facebook Page and more active audience.
- Collect data from all of your followers. Chances are your nonprofit is not only on Facebook. So it’s time to let all of your other followers in on the fun! When you build a Campaign and use the single URL to promote it across all your channels you open the door to learn and collect information from your entire online audience, not just your Facebook fans.
- Think bigger than promotions! The most common type of Facebook app are promotions and giveaways. When building a Campaign you can think beyond this type of an app. Think of landing pages for ads, website pages that don’t require a developer to update them and an active menu or offer on your Website. The possibilities are truly endless so it’s time to get creative!
We know it sounds scary to pull away from Facebook, which is why you don’t have to do that. We’re suggesting that nonprofits can start thinking BIGger, beyond Facebook’s walls! The internet is a big place and your fans are not only on Facebook. When you use tools like ShortStack’s Campaign Builder you distance yourself from the hassles of having your app hosted by Facebook. You don’t have to worry about mobile capabilities, smart device capabilities, permissions or Facebook guidelines. You’re free to create everything you’re already creating, but with more ease and potential for a greater reach.
Sample Campaign App
To give you a glimpse of our new philosophy and Campaign Builder in action, check out this page we built. This was built using our new designer, so go ahead and check it out on your mobile device too!
We’ve embedded this Campaign in blog posts, linked to it in emails and on social networks. It’s serving as a perfect landing page to educating our users on a new product!